New Y-Drive/Modo Symbian hacking method for "unhackable" Nokia phones
First there was the AppTRK hack to set your Symbian phone free. When Nokia pluged the hole, it didn't take long before the hackers striked back with the HelloCarbide method.
But when Nokia fixed the HelloCarbide method back in September 2008, the new Nokia firmware versions resisted hacking for a long time: four entire months.
But now there's a new way into the system folders of your phone. The new trick uses the ability to assign drive letters to folders, which makes Symbian believe that a folder with a modified copy of installserver.exe is a system drive. When you finish all the steps, you'll end up with the SIS Installer Mod on drive C:\ of your phone, which enables you to install any .sis file, even if it's not signed by Symbian Signed.
This method is new and experimental. It may not work on your phone. It doesn't let you switch off cabability checking, so programs like ROMPatcher and CapsOnOff won't work. But if you can get it to work on your phone, you can install any program you like without having to deal with the horrors of Symbian Signed.
How to set your phone free:
1. Check if you can hack your phone with the HelloCarbide and ROMPatcher method. If you can, use that method instead. Only use the method below if nothing else works.
2. Get a developer certificate Here. Be patient, it can take a while before your certificate is ready.
3. Download the program pack attached to this post.
4. BACK UP YOUR PHONE MEMORY! On some phones you'll need to click "Memory" in the settings folder, on other phones you can back up your phone memoy from the options menu in the file manager. You can also back up your phone memory with PC Suite.
5. Sign MapDrives (which you downloaded in step 3) with the certificate you got in step 2.
6. Install the signed copy of MapDrives on your phone.
7. Install JBak TaskMan
8. Copy MapDrives.txt to your memory card (E:\), so you'll get E:\MapDrives.txt.
9. Start JBak TaskMan, press the # key, highlight the MapDrives entry, click "options," "program rules," and select "autostart."
10. Restart your phone.
11. Delete MapDrives and install MapDrive_JBakTM_EMU_Y (for N82, N95, N95-8GB), and start it.
12. Install Modo.
13. Use the Modo file manager to copy installserver.exe to C:\sys\bin.
14. Once the modified installserver.exe is copied to C:\sys\bin you don't need MapDrives and JBak anymore, but you still need Modo to write to C:\sys.
Note: with this hack you can not write to C:\sys with file managers like X-plore or ActiveFile. You can read C:\sys\bin with these file managers, but you can only write to C:\sys\bin with Modo.
Confirmed to work on these phones and firmware versions:
Nokia N82 firmware version 30.0.019 and 31.0.016
Nokia N95 firmware version 31.0.017
Nokia N95 8GB firmware version 31.0.015
Nokia E71 firmware version 200.21.188
It may or may not work with other phones and firmware versions.
Press if you like this post